Become a Board of Directors Volunteer
Credit unions were founded on the principle of “people helping people.” As a volunteer, you are putting that philosophy into action. Our current volunteers represent over 13,500 Elevate Credit Union member-owners. We have two positions currently open. The deadline to apply is Friday, February 18, 2022.
Giving back to members
We consider members “owners” of the credit union, which means our Board of Directors is staffed by elected members. The Board is a diverse group of successful individuals, each serving two to three-year terms. As a truly democratic representative group, every member, no matter the size of their deposit, has one vote in electing the Board.
The Board sets policies, objectives, and long-term goals that are vital for the health and well-being of Elevate Credit Union. Once elected, Directors have the opportunity to share their business experiences, leadership skills, and management capabilities in a team effort.
How to Become a Volunteer
If you are interested in running for the Board of Directors, read the Q & A section to learn more. Before the deadline, click the "Apply Now" button and fill out the application. After we've reviewed your information we will reach out to you for more information. If you have questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q & A
Any member of at least 18 years of age or older is eligible to become a volunteer as long as you are a member in good standing with the Credit Union. To be considered fill out the application package. Each year the Board will appoint a nominating committee who will review a list of nominees for the office of Director and select the individual(s) who possess the skills and experience necessary for this position. Then the membership will vote on who they would like to represent them.
Directors are elected to a two- three year term and may run for re-election should they so desire; the credit union does not impose term limits.
The primary meeting of the Board of Directors is once per month. The meeting is held on the 3rd Thursday in the evening hours at 5:00 p.m. and often takes one (1) to two (2) hours. There are times however when special meetings are necessary and can be called during the day or evening. Director meetings are extremely important and must be taken seriously and as such must be given a high priority in one’s schedule. Critical information is shared at each and every meeting and only through your attendance can you expect to make intelligent decisions for the credit union. Once a year you will also be required to attend a Strategic Planning weekend that is usually held in the fall.
The credit union stresses the importance and relevance of education to our volunteers. Every year the credit union provides each director with several opportunities to attend educational forums.
There is no compensation given, thus the literal meaning of “VOLUNTEER”.
The primary responsibility of a Director is to safeguard the member’s financial assets and to meet our member’s needs in terms of product and services. Directors develop a road map of priorities (strategic planning) for management and staff to follow. Directors set policy in such areas as: lending, collections, and investments just to name a few. Each Director will be assigned to certain committees to help with.
Volunteers must maintain a balanced focus on serving member needs while preserving the financial strength of the credit union. Below are some important factors to consider “prior” to becoming a credit union volunteer:
- Be familiar with credit union products and services.
- Understand the economics and social conditions affecting the credit union.
- Be committed to attending both scheduled meetings and educational programs offered by the credit union.
- Be a member in good standing and utilize Elevate Credit Union for your primary financial accounts.
- Act as an ambassador for your credit union. Pay attention to the needs and wants of fellow members as well as the community at large, and report your findings to credit union management.
- Always put the credit union first. The safety and soundness of Elevate Credit Union should come before any personal agendas.
Serving as a credit union volunteer is a highly responsible and challenging position, which brings about tremendous satisfaction in helping others. To volunteer for your credit union, simply complete this volunteer form and remit no later than March 18th of the current year. By Mail: Elevate Credit Union, Attn: Tonya Gail, 1023 Medical Dr., Brigham City, UT 84302 or, By Email: email@example.com. If you have any questions, please call Tonya Gail at (435) 538.5118.
Join The Supervisory Committee
Overview & Qualifications
This committee is comprised of three to five volunteers. It is responsible for ensuring that the Board of Directors and Management establish policies and practices that safeguard the members’ interests and rights. This committee also carries out a continuing series of audits to ensure that records are appropriately maintained, honestly, and accurately. They also ensure the board’s policies are carried out faithfully and members’ concerns are promptly addressed and resolved.
Minimum Qualifications for an Elevate Credit Union Volunteer:
- Must be a member of Elevate Credit Union.
- Cannot have been convicted of a crime involving dishonesty or breach of trust.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must not be an employee of a competing financial institution.
- Must follow the Volunteer Code of Conduct
- Monitoring board & management activities
- Providing for financial statement audits
- Conducting annual member account verifications
- Verifying compliance with policies, procedures, rules and regulations
- Monitoring the internal control environment
Committee members fulfill these responsibilities by:
- Meeting with Elevate Credit Unions internal auditor every month
- Attending monthly meetings
- Meeting periodically with regulatory examiners and auditors
- Reviewing management reports
- Attending periodic training seminars
How to Serve on the Supervisory Committee
We currently do not have any vacancies in our Supervisory Committee. If you are interested in serving on the committee in the future, read the Supervisory Volunteer Application Package, fill out the forms inside and return them to the Credit Union.
Represent Elevate Credit Union members by volunteering to serve on the Board of Directors. Two positions available. Deadline February 18, 2022Apply Now